Re: [MacPerl] Net::FTP and Mac binaries

At 13:53 1999-05-11 -0400, Chris Nandor wrote:

>>>Okay, I now have Mac::Conversions installed. I tried this, having
>>>previously done $ftp->login successfully, and then used
>>>
>>>   $ftp->put("thing");
>>>
>>>- but it didn't work.
>>
>>Sorry, I've figured it out now.
>
>Please, share with us!  :)  How did you get it to work?

Well, I had assumed that Mac::Conversions would somehow affect
the FTP transfer without me doing anything more. In fact, I needed
to create a converter, convert the file, and then upload it:

  $con = Mac::Conversions->new();
  $con->macbinary('thing');
  $ftp->put('thing.bin');

That gives me a Mac file called 'thing' on the server.
The silly thing is, I can't get it back! If I do

  $ftp->get('thing');

then I get a file that appears to be a text file, just
like the MacBinary'd .bin file. So I did

  $ftp->get('thing', 'thing.bin');
  $con->demacbinary('thing.bin');

and it complains thusly:

  # x outside of string.
  File '...:site_perl:Mac:Conversions.pm'; Line 268

Even sillier is the fact that if I send thing.bin to an
FTP server running on Windows NT, I can get it back without
any trouble. It doesn't get converted back to its original
form (i.e. it stays as thing.bin when it gets to the server),
and I have to download it using the 'thing.bin' name,
and I can then demacbinary it without any trouble at all.

What I ultimately want to do is use FTP (or some other reliable
method) to get Mac files to an NT Server, which will put them
onto a CD. For that I need an FTP server for NT which knows
about MacBinary and can demacbinary files just as NCSA Telnet
does, but I don't know if there is one. It would be nice if
this hypothetical server would let me get files back again,
too ;-/

Peter.