Re: [MacPerl] PerlMonth guest columnist

This is by way of being a commercial announcement, but it's a commercial
for MacPerl, not for me, so I think it should be OK here ;-)

At 07:00 -0300 5/11/99, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> For general interest, what kind of column inches are we looking at here?
> 500 words, 250 words, whatever?

What can you say in 250 words? (I write too fast :-)

For general interest (and because I'd like to see ya'll get your names in
lights (not to mention MacPerl's name in lights)... somewhere between 500
and 2000.

1000 - 2000 would fill the column.

With 500, we could use two short subjects or I'll "write around" your
contribution for the month.

With 250; that would be something I'd add to mine. Or mix 3 or 4 250-word
blurbs.  Actually that would be cool... we could do a "How I use it"
column. I like that idea. Anyone interested??

This being a webzine, there are no tricky "page count" issues (although too
long and people get tired of reading).

I've been told:

> Somewhere around 2000.  But dont restrict yourself to fit the article
> around that number.  If you need more or less words for your article,
> its up to you.  I rather have you be confident about the article rather
> than rush it to fit it for certain numbers of words.  Also code snippets
> and thorough explanations help greatly.

That sounds reasonable to me.

The way I proposed the column, Chris and I "host" it (which means one of us
is responsible for writing it every month or having something written
(which means me right now 'cause Chris has more irons in the fire than
anyone else I know; he volunteered his name but not necessarily his time
:-))

So if there's a "guest columnist", you'd send the idea to me, I OK it, then
you write it up and send me a final draft. I do an edit pass (I'm actually
quite good at copy editing it I do say so myself :) and I send the result
back to you for approval; then I write a brief lead-in (or not so brief
depending on how big your text was) and pass the whole thing on to the
PerlMonth editor.

My deadline is the 15th so yours would be about the 10th?

That was my thinking on the subject. If anyone wants to do a guest column,
let me know. (especially anyone who wants to contribute a "How I use it"
piece, similar to the Stories area on the MacPerl Pages website)

(p.s. If anyone wants to do something larger and with bunches of code,
MacPerl or Mac??, send a note to Rich Morin <rdm@ptf.com>; he's a
contributing editor for MacTech... and they pay $$ ;-)

- Vicki
-- --
       |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.org