[MacPerl] Downloading fonts to printer...

We have a number of different printers on our network that need to have a
small set of fonts downloaded to them every time they get shut down.

The Apple Printer Utility that I use to do this is not scriptable, and I'd
love to have an automated tool.

MacPerl seems like a good tool to use to write something that would check
all the printers to see if they had the fonts resident in memory - and
download them if they didn't.

However, TCP/IP is not my cup of tea, so I wouldn't know the first thing
about how to talk to the printers properly.

Has anyone even attempted doing this kind of thing with MacPerl before?
Does anyone know if there's a reference for talking to printers, or some
module that I couldn't find on CPAN? (I searched for printer, and found
three things, and font and found 53 - none that seemed relevant).

-Jeff Lowrey