[MacPerl] MacPerl for stand alone apps

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at MacPerl as a potential development tool for full
blown applications.  I have seen many examples of MacPerl's capabilities
but I have not seen a full blown application yet.  Given the power of
MacPerl's language I have no doubt it can handle a lot of advanced data
filtering, file manipulation, etc., but what happens when you build a
runtime application that accesses an Oracle database of 100 tables and
has 40 different forms using cursor tracking activities, visible arrays,
pop-up lists, etc?

So far, the only hurdle that I see is there is no DBD::Oracle build for
the Mac.  Which could be considered a near impossible hurdle to get over
given that Oracle hasn't produced anything for the Mac in about 2 years.

The other concern is speed of execution of a large code base.  One form
that is used loads data from 14 different tables into various objects
such as fields and arrays.  The arrays are enterable, resizable, etc.  I
need to trap a mouse click in a particular column or cell.  There are
record navigation buttons and printing and faxing capabilities from each
form.

Would MacPerl be powerful enough and fast enough to meet all of the
needs of stand alone application requirements?  I don't know if MacPerl
has a compiler or if it produces fast code.  Can you produce
multi-tasking processes?  i.e. a process that runs in the background to
know when a user has logged on to the system which will notify the
current user no matter what they are currently doing in the software.

What are your thoughts fellow Perlers???

Thanks for everything.

Robert