Re: [MacPerl] Hoaky MacPerl Regular Expression Question

5/13/99, Ronald J Kimball wrote:
 >You're missing 'Macintosh HD'.  In particular, this code only outputs the
 >last directory name before the file; the rest of the path is ignored.

I know; that's what Cliff asked for!   In real code you'd probably obtain
the original file list with File::Find::find, determine the platform
file-separator character, and do lots of things differently.  But why use a
hammer to kill a fly?

Also- the format Chilton's asking for is not unreasonable.  If the list of
file names is a complete directory traversal, his format shows you the full
subdirectory tree in outline format... why repeat higher-level directory
names on subsequent lines??  And the volume root is hardly interesting
except perhaps as a header line in the report.   -imho.

BTW> a question... is split always to be preferred to regex??  Is it
significantly faster?  Do you lose very much of the advantage due to the
storage allocation that's required for the split list?

rkm