Re: [MacPerl] Unix DBMs vs Mac DBMs

At 10.57 -0400 1999.05.27, Jeremy Derr wrote:
>Not long ago, I used DBMs to store my databases for a trouble-ticket tracker
>I wrote. Our IS dept decided to give my trusty iMac to someone who "needed
>it more" and now I'm having to migrate my suite to an old 486 I managed to
>throw together until I can appropriate a new Mac.
>
>The problem I find is this... the DBMs that were created on the Mac
>apparently aren't readable by a linux perl script. Is there any way around
>this, or will I need to re-enter my data by hand?

The DBM files are binary and platform-specific (or, at least,
endian-specific, so little-endian [Intel] and big-endian [Motorola] won't
work, but Motorola to SPARC might).

Anyway, use Data::Dumper.  You can print out the contents of your DBM into
a text file with it, then read it back in.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])