[MacPerl] Dev:Printer snoop

As part of my intermittent attempts to write a MacPerl script to
automatically download fonts to a postscript printer, I thought I'd try to
write a perl script that would let me watch Apple Printer Utility do the
same job.

I tried a couple of things, but didn't really get anywhere.  Everything I
seemed to do ended up (apparently) blocking the connection to the printer
while the script was running.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Is it possible to snoop on a printer
connection?  Has someone done this already?  Am I missing something obvious?

-Jeff Lowrey

P.S. For those vaguely interested, my current thought is that one uses
'loadresource' to send a font to a postscript printer.  But I haven't
meditated enough on the PLRM to be definate about that.