Re: [MacPerl] I'm new to the list and Perl

At 12:06 PM -0700 5/27/99, Lee Knowles wrote:
>Hello all
>
>My name is Lee and im just starting to learn Perl and have joined this list
>two days ago. My problem is I need questions answered that are going to be
>too obvious for this list. Is there a beginners list that I could join.
>
>The questions I need to ask will be far too obvious for you guys.

Unlike many Perlish lists, this one does not castigate newbies for the
sin of being new to Perl.  So, ask away, but:

  *  use a descriptive subject line

     This allows list readers to find/avoid given topics

  *  be as specific as possible

     Say what you're trying to do, then show the list what you've been
     doing that doesn't work.  Try to boil down any large code examples
     to the smallest set of code that reproduces the problem.

  *  try to find the answer first, yourself

     MacPerl has a convenient help facility and, of course, it has a
     good (IMHO) tutorial/reference book ("MacPerl: Power and Ease").
     If you are an experienced programmer, but just new to Perl, I'd
     recommend picking up copies of "Learning Perl" and "Programming
     Perl", both published by O'Reilly.

     In any case, by looking through the docs a bit, you can help
     to refine your question, even if you don't find the answer.

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm
Prime Time Freeware: info@ptf.com, +1 408-433-9662, http://www.ptf.com