[MacPerl] Binary Files with ASCII headers

Hi there-

I have a series of binary files that each have 256 byte ASCII headers.

What is the safest way for me to strip off (and save seperately) each of these
ASCII headers while making sure that the resulting files remain "true" binaries?

I was thinking along the lines of a regex, but wasn't sure how it would play
with a binary file.

These files would then need to be uploaded to my Sun box for further processing.

Thanks!