[MacPerl] query re: serial port

I need to write a script that dials up a remote service and does some
simple prompt-response ascii interactions.

What I don't know is how to use a serial port from MacPerl.  I found
CommConnect.pl, which may be exactly what I need, but I don't understand
what it's doing.  I don't know what they mean by "Tool", etc - I've been
doing only file-processing in MacPerl - the rest of the Mac
software/toolbox world is a mystery.  Any help, pointers, sample code, etc,
to get me started, would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Richard Moore