[MacPerl] Socket Pipe II

Well, working on this some more I came up with a solution of my own that I
thought might work. Set a timeout (this probably occurred to you all
already, but my mail from this list comes slowly so I can't be sure =) on
the send and recieve requests- wait for a second for one, and if it doesn't
come wait for a second for the other. If that hasn't sent anything, go back
and wait for the first, etc.

Well, I've got a problem. I took this example right from the documentation,
and modified it only slightly:

eval {
	local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "alarm\n" };       # NB \n required
	alarm 5;		# Edited: changed to 5
	<STDIN>;		# Edited: variable time to wait, so alarms
				# can be triggered or not
	print alarm 0 . "\n";	# Print out value of alarm as it's set to 0
};
die if $@ && $@ ne "alarm\n";	# propagate errors
if ($@) {
	print "Timed out.\n";
}else {
	print "Didn't time out.\n";
}

Here's the catch, my output:

71582784
Didn't time out.

71582784
Didn't time out.
# alarm
	...propagated.
File 'Corinth:Desktop Folder:Alarm Test'; Line 7
71582783
Didn't time out.
71582783
Didn't time out.
71582783
Didn't time out.
71582783
Didn't time out.

For the first two, I hit enter before my time ran out. After that I let the
time run down, and the alarm was tripped. Then, upon rerunning the script
(remember that it had finished, but I hadn't quit yet), I found that even
when I didn't allow the alarm to time out the immidiate output was the two
lines that are repeated, one for every enter I hit. If I quit macperl and
open it again, the alarms work until they time out.

I could speculate as to why this doesn't work, but I'm hoping someone on
the list knows why so that I don't have to look like a fool being wrong. ;)
If there's another way of doing this (short of writing another program to
fake the alarm with applescript or something- I'd like a perl-only solution
if it's possible) please let me know.

Thanks!

- strider

--

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away,
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary

2 Corinthians 4:16, 17

--+--