Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and MacSWIG

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 BondTrails@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if MacSWIG has been updated to run with MacPerl and the Mac
> port of Python. I downloaded it and the ReadMe file said that it is set up
> for Tcl/Tk only (the readme file is somewhat dated, however.)

Quite a timely question. :-)

I'll be putting a tutorial up on the MacPerl Pages concerning SWIG and
MacPerl extensions before end of month. This tutorial will contain a
console app and an MPW tool, both of SWIG 1.1p5. I already touched base
with Dave Beazley about putting these up, and he'll also link from
www.swig.org.

I already have the 1.1p5 built, but I'm considering it pre-release until I
finish testing, and put in a slightly adapted pref file facility. But it
works fine.

MacSWIG 1.1p2, which is the current release, appears to work OK with the
-perl5 option, *except* for when you try Perl specific options like
-shadow. Which is my main motivation for getting a new release out there.
Also, once you've run SWIG (and it can be UNIX SWIG for that matter), all
you have to do is swap the C wrap file in for the output of 'xsubpp' in
any of the build procedures described in the Mac_XS tutorial, and that's
it.

I have Tcl and MacPython, so I'll be making sure that these work, too.

Arved