Re: [MacPerl] MPPE Mailing list

(Rushing to pull out my $0.02.)

Shouldn't this thread be on the Forum list?  :)

I disagree with Richard Gordon about the importance and necessity of CGI,
but I think many others have addressed that.  This topic (cgi, be it
MacPerl or just perl) clearly has a lot of support for being split off.

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Chris Nandor wrote:

> At 11.12 -0400 1999.07.13, Richard Gordon wrote:
> >If nothing else, I don't see where toolbox, porters, modules
> >and MPPE need to be split off of the main list since they are
> >MacPerl-centric by definition.
>
> porters and toolbox issues often scare away newbies.  MPPE is a product,
> and I think it is a bit scary to closely tie MPPE to the main MacPerl
> mailing list (even if the publisher does host the lists ... maybe that
> makes it even more scary).  modules is a different case ... I don't think
> it is too constructive to talk about complex issues regarding module
> construction, distribution, building, organization on a general list where
> many people will only be confused.  That one, though, I wouldn't care too
> much one way or another if it were separated.

MPPE I can understand being split off.  But modules, toolbox, and porters
seem intimately related to MacPerl.  Maybe I'm a geek (well, okay, not
maybe), but as a newbie I _like_ to try following complex discussions over
my head.  If I can, I learn.  If I can't, I save it for later (I'm an info
packrat, too).  If it seems pedantic and hair-splitting, I delete it.
(Like most of you will do with this message. :)

I would hate to see Kevin Reid's splendid little Toolbox toys relegated to
toolbox; they should inspire the main body of MacPerlites.

Regarding duplicates, you would think list software could handle that:
given a "family" of lists hosted by the one list server, build pairwise
subsets of common subscribers.  Then remove duplicate messages to those
subscribers.  This would have to be done when parsing the To: and Cc:
lines of incoming messages.  I'll leave the rest as an exercise for the
reader.

--
MattLangford