Re: [MacPerl] Introduction - and a mailbox viewer program

At 19.48 -0400 1999.07.19, Ken Williams wrote:
>Anyway, on to the main point.  I've got a little script here that I bet
>someone might find useful (once it's finished, anyway =).  It's a
>mailbox viewer, meaning it opens a Unix-style mailbox file (which is
>now Eudora, etc. store their mail), shows you a table-of-contents, and
>lets you view, search, or whatever.  The idea is that it's just a
>lightweight Perl app that can be used to complement a real mail program
>- I'd use it mainly to revisit mail that I've offloaded into archive
>mailbox files.  My mail program (Mailsmith) doesn't really like having
>too many messages in its "active" mailbox at once.

Very nice idea.  (As an aside, the reason I don't use Mailsmith is because
my active mail folder is about 250 MB, and Mailsmith doesn't like that.  To
move to Mailsmith would mean a much larger active mail folder, and I don't
even have the time I would need to sit there and convert all the mailboxes.
It's a shame because I really wanted to use Mailsmith.)

>The program isn't complete yet - so far it properly reads the mailbox
>file and paints a table-of-contents window, but the entries in it
>aren't clickable, and it doesn't scroll, etc.  The mailbox parsing code
>is pretty buff, it runs fast and is quite memory-efficient.  That part
>has gone through about 4 revisions. =)

Did you know about Mail::Util::mbox?  It reads in Eudora mailboxes.  See
MPPE p. 243.  Your code may be better, I have no idea.

>I'm particularly non-familiar with the Mac-specific parts of the script
>- how to properly open the windows, how to do file selection (nav
>services available?), etc.  Any corrections or improvements in this
>area are most welcome, as well as pointers to good resources where I
>can learn.
>
>By the way, Chris, you might notice some similarity to the MP3 player
>script you posted a while back - I used that as a starting point for
>this.

Excellent.  I knew someone would find it useful in some way.  :)  Anyway,
when I get some time, I'll play with this (read: I'll take a look sometime
next year ;).

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])