Re: [MacPerl] What's Latest MacPerl

htp@metropolis.net.au (Henry Penninkilampi) wrote:
>On 21/7/99, Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>>Am I correct in believing that your mention of POSIX is purely an
>>>illustrative reference (e.g., POSIX doesn't have anything to do with
>>>the current MacOS as such)?
>>
>>No.  Perl uses POSIX threads, and Matthias is implementing POSIX threads in
>>his POSIX library (GUSI), and this will eventually allow threading in
>>MacPerl.
>
>Isn't Mac OS X supposed to be pretty-much POSIX compliant in this area.
>If that's the case, then won't this problem sort itself out when X goes
>mainstream?

Yeah, but in that case the whole MacPerl thing is similarly moot (in a way),
since it'll be much easier for the standard Perl distribution to work on OS X.

Then (as I see it) there will be 2 main things for MacPerl people to do -
maintain MacPerl for the people who can't do OS X, and concentrate on the user
interface parts of MacPerl for the people who can.  And of course, make sure
that the standard Perl will work in the first place.

I should point out that I know nothing about the technical considerations here,
other than the fact that Unix underlies OS X, and that Perl works well on *NIX.
I'm also not sure whether the above reflect the priorities of the porters.

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum