RE: [MacPerl] Resource file hacking with MacPerl

> My suggestion would be to make a copy of the
> stuff you want to fiddle with first.  then
> fiddle with the copy...
>
> Sounds like a needless warning, sure; but I've
> destroyed stuff messing with resources...

Anyone who experiments with a live file deserves what they get, and I
occasionally have. :D

> Also, have you looked at ResEdit?  There
> may be some ideas from that documentation
> as well...

Resorcerer is much easier to understand, but doesn't come free with Mac OS
(though it has been updated since 1994).

For a more thorough grok of how resources are built, there are some articles
in the "More Toolbox" volume of Inside Macintosh that explain how resource
maps are constructed. If you really wanted to go blind and crazy you could
write your own resource parser based on IM:MTb information rather than use
routines that are already there. (Actually, part of my job once involved
going blind and crazy doing exactly that, but it was excusable since I was
trying to read the resources in MS Windows and for some reason couldn't
access the Toolbox. :D)

-- Creede