Re: [MacPerl] Mac::WASTE

Arved Sandstrom, <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca>, wrote:

> If I may offer a few words of advice. Copy and paste the WASTE public API
> into a fresh file, and lay the functions out K&R C style, that is:
>
> return_value
> WASTE_func(a, b, c)
>     datatype_a a;
>     datatype_b b;
>     datatype_c c;

Something like this? (pulled out of WASTE.h and massaged):

OSErr
WENew(*destRect, *viewRect, flags, *we)
    const LongRect *destRect;
    const LongRect *viewRect;
    UInt32 flags;
    WEReference *we;

This is doable.

> From a cursory looksee I'd say you're probably going to want to do XS,
> particularly as the WASTE headers use Points, Rects, AE things and so
> forth, that have already been XS'ed. But don't rule out SWIG until you
> develop your skeleton interface (that is, the product of the above).

I figured I was in for some XS code from the outset without having looked
at the API, and I KNEW there was a reason for keeping a copy of SWIG
handy (which I didn't :-( ).  I'll have to grab another copy at some
point.

My own first glance reveals the only items NOT already XS'd to be Drag
Manager support
<Drag.h>, and WASTE's own <LongCoords.h> (needed to support selections
larger than 32K).

I'm beginning to doubt my sanity for taking this up!  I'm going over the
documentation with a fine comb, and will probably also post questions to
the WASTE mailing list.

Thanks for the advice, and also for the XS tutorial.  More questions to
follow as they come up!

--B

# Fungal Parataxonomy                   Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer      **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
#
# First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
# Then you win.                                     --Mohandas Gandhi