[MacPerl] file test operator

Dear People,

I'm a little dense and have trouble understanding the syntax of the file
test operator.  I am writing a search engine and need to determine if a
file is text or directory (folder) as I loop through a main directory.
Could someone please spell out how to do this?  I didn't understand the
explanation in MacPerl Power and Ease.  Thanks in advance.

Noe