Re: [MacPerl] Is it possible to access the serial ports?

At 2:10 AM -0400 10/2/99, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
Hopefull this isn't asked too much, but I've not seen it and can't seem to
find any reference for MacPerl.

I want to right some programs that will interface with my Synth on a MIDI
interface hooked up to the modem port. So is it possible to access the
serial ports and if so, where is documentation for it?

Thanks.

-Derrik

Questions concerning serial port access are most definitely not asked too much.

MacPerl comes with an interface "CommConnect.pl" which is based on Alex Metcalf's HyperCard XFCN (http://www.metcalf.demon.co.uk/alex/software.html) package. There is a reference to it as a library in the top level "macperl.pod" and the file itself can be found in the "lib" folder. The file contents provide the bulk of the programmer's information. Alex has some other information including a helpful HyperCard stack on his site and he has updated the XFCNs to v1.2. If you're handy with ResEdit you can update your copy of CommConnect.pl in a jiffy.

I've been looking for a bit more detailed access to the serial ports and have been working on adapting some educational Communication Toolbox routines that I found in a distant corner of the Apple web site for use with MacPerl. I have a work-in-progress module (Serial.pm) which I would be happy to share with you in return for some feedback on it.

Best regards,
Joseph
--
Joseph A. DiVerdi, Ph.D.