[MacPerl] <MAIL> chunk 113. ?

Well I'm just learning perl and here's a snippet from a program that
will eventually convert eudora mailboxes into html pages.
This is my first attempt at a perl program and I've learned a lot by
wrestling with it, but I'm baffled by an error that keeps coming up.
this was a test to read from a file and incrementaly load an array
when ever I come across a from field.
This works fine but when I add the $file++; then I get:
Use of uninitialized value, <MAIL> chunk 113.

thanks,
karl

#!perl -w

$inPath = "test y";

$outPath = "test x";

$file=0;  #init my file count

open (MAIL, $inPath) || die "can't open: $!";
open (MAILOUT, ">$outPath$file.html") || die "can't open: $!";
@a = <MAIL>;
foreach (@a) {
	 chomp;
	if (/From:/) {
	$file++; #if I take this out it runs fine
	#if I leave it I get # Use of uninitialized value, <MAIL> chunk 113.
	$auther[$file] = $_;
print STDOUT "this is $auther[$file] and the file is $outPath$file\n
and this is the @auther\n\n";
close (MAIL) || die "can't close  MAIL: $!";
close (MAILOUT) || die "can't close  MAILOUT: $!";

	-==Karl Long==-
	     -== mailto:klong@viant.com?subject=the%20money%20IOU ==-
	-== http://www.viant.com ==-
		-= aol im: mrukfunky =-
-=42 is the answer, the only problem is figuring out the question=-