Re: [MacPerl] installing libraries in mac perl

>so I just downloaded a module and it's a tar.gz, I can unstuff that,
>I tried to run makefile.pl and I got this error:
># Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC.
>File 'harddrive:Desktop Folder:MailTools-1.13:Makefile.PL'; Line 12
># BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>File 'harddrive:Desktop Folder:MailTools-1.13:Makefile.PL'; Line 12
>
>Does anyone know where to find and install makemaker.pm
>
>karl
>
>PS trying to make sense of the readme that say's this:
>
>You install the library by running these commands:
>
>    perl Makefile.PL
>    make
>    make test
>    make install

These are the correct instructions if you're running a Unix Perl.  They
are NOT the correct instructions when installing modules on the Mac.

The easiest way to install modules on the Mac is to first get Chris
Nandor's cpan-mac.  Even if you don't have the memory or internet
bandwidth to run the CPAN shell, there are several droplets in the
distribution that make installing modules a joy, rather than a pain.  The
tarzipme and untarzipme droplets handle all the conversions from tar.gz,
including changing the line-endings as appropriate.  The installme
droplet figures out where everything is supposed to go and places it
there for you so you don't have to.  cpan-mac even installs itself.
Chris has really given the whole package a lot of thought.

--B

# Brian McNett                                      Fungal Parataxonomy
# Webmaster, Staff Writer               Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
#                              **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
# First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
# Then you win.                                     --Mohandas Gandhi