RE:[MacPerl] MacPerl vs MacPerl J

>It is necessary, though?  What modules in particular are different?  I
>took some kind advice from someother people on this list and dusted off my
>copies of Ken Lunde's "Japanese Information Processing".  And thought I
>would use the generic flavor of Perl over MacJPerl to do Japanese
>processing.

Here are a few reasons why one might want to use MacJPerl:

Japanese user interface (with Optional English)
Correct handling of Japanese strings and regular expressions and the
functions: chop, split, tr and format.

A simple example of string handling: In English, you could use the
following expression to print the word "File":

print "File"

Unfortunately the Japanese word for "File" contains a byte which is
interpreted as a string meta-character by Perl, resulting in garbled
output.  MacJPerl can correctly print Japanese text. Imagine how difficult
it would be if you couldn't rely on simple functions like "print" for
printing your native language!

Some of the user interface module problems are actually bugs in MacJPerl,
which I haven't had the time to track down (Moshiwake arimasen! _o_).
Other modules (such as jcode) can be used by turning off the Japanese
features via the I18N:Japanese.pm Module.

The MacJPerl web site has more info in both English and Japanese:

http://world.std.com/~habilis/macjperl/

- Chuck