Re: [MacPerl] Some Ridiculous Newbie Questions re Mac::Files, etc.

At 3:04 -0400 1999.10.19, Jeffrey Carl wrote:
>1.) How can I get a MacOS 8.5+ (?) style dialog like one that will allow
>the user to select a directory (in this case, their MacMAME base
>directory), so the contents of a directory relative to that directory can
>be opened and read?

You would need the Mac::Navigation module, which is in beta, and requires
Nav services.  It is available on the MacPerl FTP site.

    ftp://err.ethz.ch//pub/neeri/MacPerl/Beta/

Then read the docs and search the mailing list archives for Mac::Navigation
for more examples.

>2.) For the above, as well as the dialog in which they select their "MAME
>Game List," is there an easy way to print a simple message in the dialog
>box (e.g., "Select your MacMAME Directory:" and "Select your MAME Game
>List File:")?

Yes.

>3. After the work is done, is there an easy way to set the file's
>type/creator codes to "TEXT/ttxt" rather than the default MPW document?

See the macperl.pod file.  The MacPerl::SetFileInfo function will do it.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])