Re: [MacPerl] Porting an Inside Mac QuickDraw example routine

At 23.41 -0500 1999.11.10, ilir topalli wrote:
>I'll throw out a (tiny) bone:  I think color managment in sort of obscure.  I
>have
>seen a lot of postings for instance that use (I think from MPPE)
>

>  RGBForeColor(new_color(16384, 16384, 16384));
>  sub new_color {bless(\pack('SSS', @_[0..2]), 'RGBColor');}
>
>I think the "bless(\pack($,#,#,#)) " is pretty obscure.  Like I said
>before, I'm
>not
>looking to get rid of anything here.  Obviously even this subroutine could be
>simplified
>from it's function within a function form.

The only reason this exists in MPPE is because it was, at the time, missing
from the module, simply because of an oversight.  It is no longer
necessary.  This is noted in the footnote on that page (206).  It actually
said "RGBColor->new may soon be added to Mac::QuickDraw", and if you had
tried it, you would have seen that it does, indeed, work.

Although, I see this is not in the errata, and I will add it.

> Is that because the Tk concepts are so different from the Mac GUI concepts?

They are quite different, to my mind.  Different enough that one API for
the both wouldn't work.  Similar enough that if you know one, the other is
easier to pick up.

> Or is it that the Mac way of doing it has many advantages over Tk that make
> people avoid it?

I think most people I know prefer the Tk API to the Mac OS API, for most
scripting tasks.  Maybe for a full-fledged professional GUI, they would
prefer the Mac OS API, but then you probably wouldn't be using MacPerl
anyway (for now :).

>>  The reason I say I don't think it would work, that the API is too
>>  different, is because I have done GUIs with the Tk and Mac OS APIs, and I
>>  once had thoughts of adapting the Tk API to sit on top of the Mac OS API,
>>  and after doing some Tk, I realized the concepts just didn't map well
>>  enough to make it seem worth the effort of doing it or even using it.
>
>It seems like it would be a herculean task. Considering entire volumes are
>written just about using Tk. You are a brave man.

No, I decided NOT to do it.  I'm not that brave.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])