[MacPerl] simple QuickDraw questions

A) Does anyone know how to test if a system can use Color Quickdraw such as  "IF
gColorQDAvailable THEN"

I assume there is something in Mac::Gestalt, I just can't quite figure it out.

B) Also is there an equivalant to the  the global variables for the  five
predefined bit patterns in basic QuickDraw?

black -    All-black pattern
dkGray -75% gray pattern
gray       -50% gray pattern
ltGray    -25% gray pattern
white     -All-white pattern

I tried a couple of things but couldn't seem to get any , and couldn't find any
references to dkGray etc in QuickDraw.pm or QuickDraw.xs

is this just something one need to define one's self.   If so it's not a problem
I have patterns for all of these.  I was just wondering if there were globals
already defined for it to slim down my code.

Ilir