Re: [MacPerl] linux

At 10:04 PM -0500 11/20/99, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 18.39 -0800 1999.11.20, Mike Schienle wrote:
>  >The good news is that you get the stability and speed of a Linux
>  >system. The downside is that you do not have access to MacOS or its
>  >applications. You can probably access data on a Mac partition, but
>  >the applications would just be binary files.
>
>Thanks to mol (mac-on-linux), you can run Mac OS on LinuxPPC.  A friend of
>mine on #perl did it, and he even tested MacPerl and Mac::Glue, and it all
>worked for him.  He tested the label and beep example script with
>Mac::Glue, and it worked (except that sound does not work with mol right
>now, so instead of beeping, the screen flashed).

But beware, there are certain Macs that MOL doesn't seem to run right
on (blue G3's seem to be a problem from traffic on the ppc-linux
lists), and you need a ROM image from one of the early PPC boxes.
The more modern ROMS won't work.  I'm not aware of the legalities
involved in getting an ROM image if you don't already own a machine
of the proper type.  MOL also required you to build your own kernel,
since the kernel source needs to be patched.  It's an easy thing to
do, but it might be daunting for a newbie.

The vaporware SheepShaver (actually, it's in private beta, so it's
not quite vaporware) is rumored to solve all these problems.  But MOL
is free and Open Source, while SheepShaver is commercial.

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com