Re: [MacPerl] Comparing dates

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 07:02:13PM +0100, Lasar Liepins wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm havin trouble finding some understandable information
> on how to compare two dates.
>
> What I want to accomplish:
>
> >From a text log file I have extracted the minutes, hours, day, month and
> year
> for to points in time. Now I want to know how much time has passed between
> them.
> In my first beta of the script in which I need this I just used this:
>
> $time1 = $min1 + ( $hrs1 * 60 );
> $time2 = $min2 + ( $hrs2 * 60 );
> $connection_time = $time2 - $time1;
>
> not very pretty of course, and it doesn't account for things like
> 23:55 to 01:05.
> I guess I need a function that creates a timestamp from the parts I have,
> and a function which calculates the minutes or hours of the intercal
> between
> the two times.

use Time::Local;    # Module bundled with Perl

$time1 = timelocal($sec1,$min1,$hours1,$mday1,$mon1,$year1);
$time2 = timelocal($sec2,$min2,$hours2,$mday2,$mon2,$year2);

$diff = $time2 - $time1;   # difference in seconds

$h = int $diff / 3600;     # hours of difference
$m = ($diff / 60) % 60;    # minutes of difference

Ronald