Re: [MacPerl] The Powers of Annoy

> Hey, you took Brian's constructive criticism really well, better than I
> would have as a newbie, even though he was right in every particular. :-)
>
> The fact is, good code exemplifies a lot of things other than what most
> beginning programmers may think. Maintainability is one of them. :-)
> Brian's suggestions sort of point you down that road, and they'll stand
> you in good stead.

Arved's one of the people whose code I admire, so I take this as high
praise indeed!

>From the standpoint of having been a writer before learning to program, I
learned the importance of good style FIRST, long before encountering
Perl.  Most programmers don't have that background, and have to learn
style from scratch.  Hell!  Most language designers don't have that
background, and end up insisting on artificial constructs like
orthoganality, instead.

I like Perl, mostly because it's the first language I've encountered that
I can actually program in.  It's not a "natural" language, in that it
doesn't try to mirror the usage and structure of human speech or writing,
 but it is a "living" language, in that it consciously borrows from other
languages, like C, and unix tools like sed and awk.  If you were already
comfortable with the standard Unix toolkit, adding Perl is very natural.
For someone like me, who rarely ventures beyond the Mac, it requires
somewhat more hand-holding, but I got lucky, as Vicki and Chris had just
published their book when I was starting out.

--B

Brian McNett, Webmaster