Re: [MacPerl] Error type 12

Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp> wrote:

>First, what have you got against having a debugger loaded, at least (at
>times) in the development phase? Macsbug is not that hard to load. Move
>it in and out of the system folder and re-boot, and you can have it both
>ways, although not at the same time. I myself mostly use the extensions
>manager to dis/en-able it, on the rare occasions I want it out of the way.

The problem is that I can't replicate this problem on cue -- I have _no_
idea how to make it do this.  Sometimes the script works perfectly,
sometimes the problem occurs.  Therefore, the only way I can get this
error is if the machine is actually being used.  This machine is also a
filemaker server, a file server, and the webserver for three different
sites.  So, if I have a debugger loaded, when MacPerl bombs out, the
whole machine locks up.  Since this machine is not near me (approx 3
floors up), and is locked away in a room to which I don't have a key,
this presents a major problem.  I can't cause this machine to stop
working as a server -- when MacPerl crashes, it is not a crash that stops
everything else, at least until I try to get the .acgi app to quit...

>Second, error type 12 from what?

I get the message from the finder "The application MacPerl has crashed
with an error of type 12".  MacPerl stops being listed as an active
application.  However, the .acgi application doesn't stop being listed as
active, it just can't be brought to the foreground to quit, can't be
forcequitted, ProcessInfo.app won't "kill" it...

>Third, if this _is_ supposed to be calling a debugger, then maybe someone
>has left a breakpoint set in your code? This would be awkward. Might call
>for re-building a library?

That's what I don't know -- I don't do any really odd things with the
code -- it's a .acgi -- mostly calls to open, print, close, split, <>,
foreach, and regular expressions.  There are one or two places where I do
the "add to a string" thing, but other than that, I would assume that
these functions are used by _everybody_ very often -- so I would think
that any stray breakpoints would have been removed by now...

>Be really careful about putting debugging print statements in other
>people's code. Don't, if you can avoid it. Suspect your code first,
>because it's hopefully easier to understand at this deep a level.

The problem with this is that the code works most of the time.  I can't
make this bug appear -- it only happens every now and then.  As I said,
my best guess is that it has something to do with multi-threading issues,
but that's probably because I have no idea what else it could be....

I've tested the code again and again, and everything is correct.  I get
more compiler errors from InternetConfig.pm -- about using barewords,
etc., -- than I do from my code.

That actually reminds me of one other question: whenever I put "use
strict" into the code, I can't run it because it won't let me have any
global variables.  I'm afraid I don't completely understand how to get
rid of this error...

Thanks muchly,
Ricky Morse

-----