[MacPerl] Re: Error type 12 in .acgi

Hi!  First, thank you all for your suggestions on how to solve the
problem -- by turning it into a .cgi, I was able to keep in from
crashing.  However.

The script requires the use of an outside authentication system -- a
modified version of Kerberos.  In order to use this, I need to send an
AppleScript to another program, which queries the user for a kerberos
ticket, and then reports back who the person is.  The problem is that
this takes time.  Especially if someone doesn't type in their password
immediately (which has happened).  So now, the script needs to wait for a
reply, and the server needs to wait for the script.  Unfortunately, this
server serves at least three web sites (will be more soon) -- including
the Senior Vice President's.  So whenever the script is running (and it
is not fast even if the password is entered directly), three web sites
are blocked -- because WebStar won't serve even other virtual domains
while waiting for a return from a .cgi.

In december, there was some mention of a new version of MacPerl that
would be multi-threaded -- is there any word on this?  I'm really hoping
this happens soon...

One more question: is there any kind of profiler available for Perl?  I'm
worried that this script takes so long (even with password entry
immediately, it can take 30 secs to a min to return data), and would like
to see if I can figure out what is taking the most time...

Thanks again,
Ricky Morse

-----
Pukku