Re: [MacPerl] graphics

>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:29:30 -0800
>From: Bruce Van Allen <bva@cruzio.com>
>Subject: Re: [MacPerl] graphics

> Several people posted replies with helpful suggestions for my query
> regarding scriptable batch re-sizing of jpegs (GIFs and PNGs too would be
> nice). I think this also might have been useful to Nick Thornton, who
> posted a similar question. Thanks!
[snip]

You might be interested in the following open-source Java program ImageJ,
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/
under active development by Wayne Rasband of the US National Institutes of
Health.  ImageJ is a general purpose image analysis program based on the
feature set of NIHImage, which was developed (in Pascal) to run on the Mac.
Since Java programs are AppleScriptable using the MRJ SDK (see
http://www.apple.com/java/), this Java program should be able to be tied to
a MacPerl script. I'm just a newbie at Perl, but I have used NIHImage for
some time, ImageJ for a little while and they are extremely useful programs
(and free in both senses of the word!).

>From the ImageJ features list:
File Formats:
        Open and save all supported data types as TIFF (uncompressed) or as
raw data. Open and save
        GIF, JPEG and ASCII. Open BMP, DICOM and FITS. Open GIFs, JPEGs and
raw data
        using a URL.
 Speed:
        ImageJ is the world's fastest pure Java image processing program.
It can filter a 2048x2048
        image in 0.5 seconds. That's over 8 million pixels per second!

There is a mailing list for ImageJ and many users of NIHImage
cross-subscribe to the list.  Also, FYI, there is an appleScriptable
variant of NIHImage called ObjectImage (at
http://simon.bio.uva.nl/object-image.html ) but it doesn't export to JPEG
:(.  Hope this is of use...

Jane