[MacPerl] file naming

For the project I've just been assigned, fortunately the person before me had a
nice orderly naming system for files; unfortunately the client wants a diferent
standard naming system. namely...
"file-05-01.jpg"  -> "file-05.s.jpg"
"file-05-02.jpg"  -> "file-05.t.jpg"

I was wondering how one would go about automating the changing of their names,
or more specifically which variable I'd muck around with. I noticed setting $^I
in one of Chris Nandor's scripts.

I'm off to RTFM now. (I'm asking first because my room and books are across
campus from my work and this computer, since mine decided it would like to take
a tour of Hades and various other lands of the dead. I'm trying to rescue the
data on the harddrive now)

le meas,
--Nick