Re: [MacPerl] Formatted printing using 'rtf' file

There is a current thread on the main MacPerl list about using RTF
from MacPerl, and I'm wondering if there is a Perl Monthly column
here?

The thread is about creating an RTF template with Clarisworks and
then changing its content with MacPerl.  I did a project (in MacPerl)
where I needed to generate formatted output for a printer, and
figured out how to generate RTF from scratch.  To be useful, the
resulting document needs to be interpreted by a program which knows
RTF, but there are a lot of those (Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, etc,
etc: rtf IS an exchange format).  This is as much a feature as a bug;
if your goal is to create some formatted text to insert into a larger
word processor document (e.g. a grant proposal or patent
application), rtf is a great way to go.

Similarly, generating Postscript de novo is not so hard, and in that
case you can send output directly to a Postscript printer.  I have
not done this from MacPerl, but I have written snippets of postscript
in BBEdit and sent them to the printer.  If one of y'all has sent
postscript to a printer from MacPerl and could point me to the
correct FM and/or email me a code snippet, I probably could put
together a tutorial on that.

The big insight to me is that although Postscript or RTF generated by
a program like Microsoft Word is extremely complex and hard to
understand, very simple RTF and Postscript works just fine and can
easily be generated by MacPerl.

To put formatted text on the screen, of course, one can use the Mac
Toolbox interface in MacPerl.  I've not done a lot of that, but
probably could put something together*.

And finally, this may be obvious, but it is worth reminding folks
that HTML can be used to created formatted text.  The resulting HTML,
in addition from being published on the web, can be printed via any
browser, and now can be imported by a number of applications (e.g.
Microsoft Word).

-David-

* One of my dreams is to throw together a Simple Mac Interface module
that would be a wrapper around the Mac toolbox calls that would
supply extremely simple functions for writing text, drawing
rectangles, etc, sort of like what was in the old Microsoft Basic
package for the mac.
David Steffen, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>
Phone: (713) 610-9770 FAX: (713) 610-9769 E-mail: steffen@biomedcomp.com