Re: [MacPerl] Very beginner question!

Nicolas --

More complete answers to your questions can be found by looking backwards
in the list. You can browse the list with your HTML browser via a link at
www.macperl.com. I think it can be searched, now.

>What would be the simple or complex, or impossible (?) things to do:
>	1) to put together the programs and the MacPerl interpreter
>in one directory in my Mac?

The folder "pods" has the bulk of the documentation. They are readable by
the program "shuck".

>	2) to make them to run (standalone)? I wonder if there exists
>some "server simulator" , something like the "windows simulator" for
>the Mac (VirtualPC)?

netpresenz, quid pro quo, Macintosh personal web server, etc. are
available cheap, and webstar and others cost more. You can search for
these by name, or perhaps by something like "Macintosh web server
software" on the search sites. I like www.google.com, myself. Netpresenz
is at www.stairways.com, incidentally.

>	3) to upload all this stuff (interpreter + programs + data
>files) or only a part of it (programs + data files) into the server?

Ask your provider about ftp.

>Is it mandatory to put the Perl programs inside the "cgi-bin"
>directory of the server?

Usually, but the name of the directory varies, and some providers take a
different apprach to security.

>	4) to test the same programs from "external user side", i.e.
>through netscape or any www browser?

Netscape 4+ apparently can handle some of the simple stuff for you
(particularly the search strings in your URLs). netpresenz, et. al., take
care of the rest, but you do need to save your scripts as applications.

Joel

joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp
http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/joel_rees