[MacPerl] MacPerl, AS, and GURL

Thanks to Chris and Occam's Razor for the Outlook issue. Perhaps this one is
a stumper for the AS grand master.

I am trying to write a Perl program that is invoked by a web browser, email
client, or whatever, as a special custom protocol handler. Assuming the
simplest solution is the best (sorry, Occam) I set the proper parameters in
the internet control panel and voila, nothing. I have the script as a
runtime to make it distributable, but when invoked the script doesn't
actually run. It simply opens and does nothing. From the best I can tell (I
am no AS expert) an event class(?) "GURL" is being sent.

My main question would be why is the program launching but the script not
executing? Is there any way to get the MacPerl program to recognize the
event without being already open? It seems as if I won't be able to execute
the script to be able to install the handler in the first place. Is MacPerl
a lost cause in this case (I can't have the program open all the time, so
that's not a viable solution)?

-K

"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to
the dead."
    - Thomas Paine