Re: [MacPerl] File sizes with MacPerl

In article <p04310100b526b8dff688@[130.44.25.36]>, "Patrick  D. F. Ion" <ion@ams.org> writes:

> Is it the case that there is an intrinsic limit to the size
> of a file that MacPerl can handle?  I wanted to read over a
> file of about 16MB, and in fact 622K lines, but was completely
> unable to do so.

There is not such limit, *provided* you pick the correct line terminator. Your
problem sounds a lot like your file is LF (\012) terminated, while MacPerl
expects a CR (\015) terminated file by default. It will therefore try to read
the entire file into RAM, and fail.

Matthias

  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_