[MacPerl] Regarding server pings

Hi there

I'm writing a Perl script that accesses a server and retrieves certain
information.  Now, I want the script to ping the server to check if it
responds, but most of all I want a way to see if the computer is
actually connected.

I've had some very disappointing results with Net::Ping, which gives me
that every single server isn't responding although I'm
connected....perhaps my Virtual Private Networking ADSL Modem is messing
it up...but I don't know.

I'm wondering if anybody knows a simple, easy way to check if the
computer on which the script runs is online,...and perhaps something
more useful than Net::Ping?

thanx

Sveinbjorn Thordarson
Reykjavik, Iceland