[MacPerl] Competitors

I'm holding a Perl tail in my hand and a client is spinning me around with
PHP, Aestive and ColdFusion for a small relational donkey ... er, database
... which I'd like to pin the tail on.

It seems to me PHP, Aestiva and ColdFusion exist for people who don't know
Perl (and, in this case, SQL). Otherwise I really don't know how they might
complement Perl.

In fact, the client is attracted to the idea they might make minor mods to
the entry/reporting system themselves if they invest in Aestiva or CF.
Which scares me.

Can anyone here point me to a resource (other than the product dot coms
I've already visited) or make an argument for or against any of these
approaches? Am I even asking in the right place?

In return I won't dare ask how to test this in MacPerl <g>. TIA

Mike Pasini
mike.pasini@uwreport.com