[MacPerl] installing cpan-mac cleanly

The mess in my site-perl folder has been growing for a while, so I
figured I'd start fresh, install a new MacPerl, a new cpan-mac, and go
from there.  It's not working out.

New MacPerl 520r4, memory boosted to 45MB.  That install goes fine, I
trash the old MacPerl prefs, add a CPAN folder, create a HOME
environment variable pointing at the CPAN folder, and install cpan-mac
.50.  That goes smoothly.  Then I try to install Digest::MD5 2.0.9 from
the MMP page, by dragging the .tgz file onto installme, and it reliably
crashes right after it says "testing alignment requirements for u32".

I tried repeating this procedure with extensions off, and the cpan-mac
installation failed due to lack of Internet Config.

Am I missing something?  Mac OS 9.0.4.

  -nat