[MacPerl] bug in File::Compare?

I posted this once but I think the list was down and didn't get it.

I'm attempting to use several scripts I wrote in Unix on a Mac, and
constantly get "out of memory!" errors.  The scripts work fine on both
Linux and Win32 boxes.  I've traced the source of the out-of-memory
error to the File::Compare module which all my scripts use.  Has anyone
had problems with this module?

The part of the module where it's failing is where the actual comparison
is done, at the line

unless (defined($tr = read(TO,$tbuf,$fr)) and $tbuf eq $fbuf) { goto
fail_inner; }

Specifically, this read function causes the crash.  This read is
immediately after another read (of the FROM file); does MacPerl have a
problem with read()?