Re: [MacPerl] Re: Benchmarking

on 11/15/2000 01:11 AM, Bruce Van Allen at bva@cruzio.com wrote:

> How about having your script write its output to a temp file and then
> returning an http "Location:" (redirect) rather than "Content-type:"
> mime type. You could give the temp file an id so it persists for your
> visitor. How frequently do you update your list of maps? Is that
> automated? You could clean out the temp files when you do that, or
> just have the CGI delete (unlink) any temp file more than 24 hrs
> old...

daaaaaaaamn, that's a neat idea, actually.

*pondering* a date-stamp of the time of creation of the maps_list.txt file
would suffice if it can be easily compared. if they are the same, then
import the built-file and display via the cgi, else re-build the support
files using the current info and THEN display as usual......hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll have to think about this, but it's a DAMNED interesting idea.
Particularly if this list starts getting out of hand size-wise. (ain't, yet
:), still the different sort choices of the 'live' cgi are not to be
dismissed... particularly if I add sorting by file-size, which I am thinking
about as well. each sort-type one adds another five files to the list of
'built' files. and if I add authornames to it as I eventually plan to.. it
just gets crazier. (:

I have a crontab running the 'updatemaps' script twice daily (which
basically strips the html out of the five mapslist pages produced by
NaliCIty's .asp code.) so that I can perform tests and whatnot and
comparisons between what's on the FTP mirror and what the database THINKS is
on it :) heh

--
Scott R. Godin            | e-mail : mactech@webdragon.net
Laughing Dragon Services  |    web : http://www.webdragon.net/