Re: [MacPerl] XML::Dumper and high ascii

At 9:49 -0800 2000.11.15, Andrew O. Mellinger wrote:
>Y'all,
>
>   I am using XML::Dumper to store data to some files.  I then copied
>these xml files to my linux box and tried to read them in using
>XML::Parser and it pukes.
>
>   When I tried using the XML::Dumper code on the linux box, it
>outputs different characters.
>
>   XML::Dumper double-byte encode the characters when it outputs them,
>but it seems to use a different high-byte character depending on
>platform.
>
>On a mac Ÿ goes to:
>
>  ˆÑ
>
>when on linux PPC it is saved as:

>   Does anyone know how to make them use the same character?  Or to be
>able to make them use the same  encoding standard?

If you are using regular high-bit Mac characters, you are using the
MacRoman character set.  Your best bet might be to convert it to Latin-1
before sending it to the XML; another possibility would be to set an
encoding parameter in the XML file (but I don't know if that will help or
not).

--
Chris Nandor                      pudge@pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    pudge@osdn.com     http://osdn.com/