[MacPerl] Bizarre system crashes with BBedit and MacPerl

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with BBedit and MacPerl, and I'm wondering if anyone
has any insights. I can reproducibly crash my machine by doing the
following:

1) Fresh restart with only MacOS 9.0.4 base extensions
2) Launch BBedit 6.0.1
3) Launch MacPerl 5.2.0r4
4) Open text file of Perl script with BBedit
5) Go to MacPerl menu and Export to Droplet (or CGI or Runtime)
6) Watch machine lock up.

The system locks so hard that I can't even bring up MacsBug to get a StdLog.
This happens on two different machines. One is a Revision A iMac, the other
a G4. Both are running MacOS 9.0.4 with all known updates, and have the
latest version of BBedit 6.0.1 installed. It doesn't appear to be a problem
with MacPerl, because I can open up the same text files in MacPerl and save
them as droplets. It's only when I use BBedit to do the exporting that the
crash occurs. Once I managed to get a "CHK error" message - but that's the
only one. Normally the machine just freezes with no messages and no dropping
into MacsBug.

By trial and error, and a lot of reboots, I've managed to winnow it down to
a simple test case:

This script crashes my machine:
# This is a debugging log to help me trouble-shoot the drawing/positioning
process
# set to "ON" to turn on logging
my $logging = "ON";

print STDOUT "Root name of the output file:\t";
my $input = <STDIN>;
chomp $input;
---end---

This script doesn't: