Re: [FWP] 4294967295

Vicki wrote:
> At 10:22 -0400 7/8/99, John Porter wrote:
> > Vicki wrote:
> >>
> >>   $myEmail =  'me%40my.email.com';
> >>   $myEmail = ~ s/%40/@/g;
> >>   print "$myEmail";

> > It works fine for me -- as long as I remove the space in the middle of
> > the =~ .  If I don't, I get a fatal error about modification of a
> > read-only variable; so I'm guessing the user has a much older version
> > of perl.  (Mine is 5_57.)
>
> Did you add anything to the code? (Where would a "read-only variable" come
> into play?)

I absolutely did not.  The variable in question is (apparently) $_,
because in

	$myEmail = ~ s/%40/@/g;

the "negation" operator is being applied to the result of

	s/%40/@/g;

which is to say,

And unless your program has done something -- *Anything* -- to localize
$_, it is read-only.  Hmmmmmm.  Interesting....

John Porter

==== Send email to <fwp-request@technofile.org> with message _body_