Re: [FWP] 4294967295

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 10:22:00AM -0400, John Porter wrote:
> Vicki wrote:
> >
> >   $myEmail =  'me%40my.email.com';
> >   $myEmail = ~ s/%40/@/g;
> >   print "$myEmail";
> >
> > > All I get back is 4294967295.
>
> It works fine for me -- as long as I remove the space in the middle of
> the =~ .  If I don't, I get a fatal error about modification of a
> read-only variable; so I'm guessing the user has a much older version
> of perl.  (Mine is 5_57.)

I can exactly reproduce the above results with perl 5.004.05 on Linux.
What i don't see is where a "read-only variable" is involved.  As far
as i can see only $_ is used, which isn't read-only.

  -- Holger

(This is my first posting to this list.  Please relax, resistance is
useless ;-) ).

--
+ PGP || GnuPG key -> finger eitz@jonathan.weh.rwth-aachen.de +
+++ Debian/GNU Linux <octavian@debian.org> +++ ICQ: 2882018 +++