Re: [FWP] 4294967295

Vicki wrote:
> At 18:44 -0400 07/12/1999, John Porter wrote:
> >Vicki wrote:
>
> 5_57 on what?

Since there seems to be some continued interest in this on FWP, allow
me to post a short session which demonstrates the problem:

	% perl
	s/o/x/g;
	Modification of a read-only value attempted at - line 1.
	% perl
	$_ = 'foo';
	s/o/x/g;
	%

As you can see, simply failing to set $_ before the =~ gets applied
to it raises the exception.

AFAICT, there are very few builtins which try to access AND CHANGE
$_ without implicitly initializing it; so far I've only found s///
and y///.

Oh, btw: I get identical results on 5_02 and 5_57.

John Porter

==== Send email to <fwp-request@technofile.org> with message _body_