RE: [MacPerl-Porters] On with the show; Volunteers Wanted!

On Fri, 5 May 2000 PVHP@forte.com wrote:

> Matthias Neeracher wrote:
>
> > So, my first impression of the new build is that it fulfills its objective:
> > Building (at least up to miniperl) now is achievable for somebody with an ftp
> > client and some programming experience.
> >
> > I'm woroing on some GUSI patches, afterwards I'll do a small update of the
> > build to correct the UnPreload thing and look at Peter's Configuration script.
>
> I hope to be able to release that real soon now.  It currently only
> handles being run from the perl source folder and does not yet handle
> the case where it is run from the :macos: sub folder.  In case my schedule
> slips note that it is on the web (and ftp) at:
>
>  http://www.best.com/~pvhp/mac/macperl5.6.0/Configure.MPW
>
>  ftp://shell8.ba.best.com/pub/pvhp/public_html/mac/macperl5.6.0/Configure.MPW

It has now been updated and will work from either the perl source folder
(where the MANIFEST and perly.y files are located) as well as the :macos:
sub folder (where the Makefile.mk and patch files are located).

It will spit out a new MacPerlConfig.mk file for you.  In doing so it
preserves the comments in MacPelConfig.mk and will rename the original
to MacPerlConfig.mk.old.1, *.2, etc. on successive re-runs of the
Configure.MPW script.

I've tested it with and without spaces in the pathname to the source
folders.

> note that best.com apparently defaults to a MIME type of "unknown/binary"
> or somesuch and you may be asked to save that file right away:  try to
> ensure that it gets LF --> CR converted and from within MPW do:
>
>    Setfile -c 'MPS ' -t 'TEXT'
>
> or somesuch :-)  At any rate, I hope to announce a better
> version "real soon now(tm)".

That tip still pertains since the file is sitting as a Unix text file
on a Unix web && ftp server.

Consider this email as much of an announcement as there will be until
I hear a bug report.

Peter Prymmer