Re: [MacPerl-Scribes] Script Different changes coming!

At 00:15 -0800 13/03/2000, Brian McNett wrote:
>>Sidebar for article - version: for proofreading and expansion of
>>descriptions.
>
>**Needs** Proofreading! :-)
>
>Aside from the basic spelling and grammar (not in need of *much* work
>(it's just a table, after all), I'm looking at this and seeing error
>after bad html error.  Is that straight out of ClarisWorks? Yikes! Can't
>have <head> tags within the <body> for one thing.  I think you mean <h#>
>(where # is a number, 1-7). This isn't an HTML discussion list, so I'll
>skip over the rest.  However, I get the basic gist of the sidebar concept.
>
>Possible changes:
>
>Designate the switches with a leading "-" throughout.  You don't use them
>in the first column, but in the descriptions you do. I find the center
>alignment okay for the swtiches, but distracting for the description,
>might be better left aligned.  Try left alignment for both, and see how
>you like it.
>
>If you want, I can recast this as one monster table.  Short of dropping
>into CSS, there are things I can do to punch it up a bit (the default
>border style is annoying to me).
>
>Anyone else want to take a stab at this, the floor is open.
>
>--B
>
>Brian McNett, Webmaster
>Mycoinfo. The world's first mycology e-journal.
>http://www.mycoinfo.com/
ok ...

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Switches Article sidebar</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY  >

<TABLE BORDER="1" CELLSPACING="2" CELLPADDING="1"><BR>

 <TR>
  <TD WIDTH="43" ALIGN=LEFT>switch</TD>
  <TD WIDTH="120" ALIGN=LEFT>brief description</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>Same as perl</TD>
 </TR>

 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-0</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>sets $\ in octal</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-a</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>autosplit with -n or -p</TD>
 </TR>   <BR><BR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-c</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>only check syntax </TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-d</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>debugger<BR>for rogue fans</TD>
 </TR>   <BR>
<TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-D</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>Set debugging flag mask.<BR>Only useful with a copy of
MacPerl recompiled with -DDEBUGGING flag set.<BR>Available as a <A
HREF="http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/authors/id/CNANDOR/MacPerl520r4-DBG-2-CFM68
K.bin"> CFM68K version </A>  or  a <A
HREF=http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/authors/id/CNANDOR/MacPerl520r4-DBG-PPC.sit.
bin> PPC version</A><BR>
 </TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-F</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>specify the pattern for autosplitting with -a</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-h</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>help - short list of flags</TD>
 </TR>
<TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-i[argument]</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT> <> inplace<BR>Without an argument, the input file is
replaced with the output<BR> With an argument, a backup copy of the input
file is saved as filename.argument.MBR>watch your filename lengths </TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-I</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>turns on automatic chomping if used with -n or -p, print
statement doesn't need \n termination</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-m or -M[module]</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-execute use module then execute script</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-m- or -M- </TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>execute no module then execute script</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-n</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>iterate script using <>, no print</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>   <BR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-p</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>iterate script using <>, print</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-U</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>relaxes some restrictions on unsafe operations</</TD>
</TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-v</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>report version and patchlevel of perl</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-w</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>turn on compilation warnings</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD>MPW only </TD>
 </TR>
<TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-e 'commands' </TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>parse and execute commands </TD>
 </TR>
<TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-s</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>pass flags after the script name on to the script for
parsing</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-S</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>search for script using PATH variable</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-T</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>turn on taint checking</TD>
 </TR>
<BR>
<TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-V</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>configuration information</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-x</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>skip until #!perl line</TD>
 </TR>

 <TR>
    <TD >Not under MacPerl</TD>
 </TR>
  <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-P</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>under UNIX, passes script to c preprocesser before
execution - <BR>not supported under MacPerl</TD>
 </TR>
  <TR>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>-u</TD>
  <TD ALIGN=LEFT>under UNIX, does a core dump - <BR>*not* supported under
MacPerl, might crash<BR> avoid</TD>
 </TR>
</TABLE>
</P>