[MacPerl-Toolbox] How does MacPerl Know to set up PICT environment?

I've been poring over the sample progs in MPPE, e.g.:

sub draw_it {
 PaintOval()

QuickDraw.pm and .xs, Inside Macintosh, and MacPerl source code,
and now have decided I should ask:

How does MacPerl know it needs to set up the PICT environment to
handle the QuickDraw calls appearing in the draw_it routine?

I see that using standard programming, things like OpenCPicture(),
and handles to a PICT object containing QuickDraw calls need to be
set up before a DrawPicture to actually do the work. Where does
this get done "under the covers" with MacPerl?

Also, if I want to save stuff as a PICT file, is there a way of
capturing what's done in the draw_it routine, or do I need to
invoke the MacPerl analogs of all the QuickDraw routines to do this?

Thanks,
Stephen Beck