Re: [MacPerl-WebCGI] MacPerl and WebSTAR

>on 9/7/00 7:02 AM, Thomas Wegner at toms_email@gmx.de wrote:
>
>>  If you would like to run CGI-scripts on your Mac at home
>

>Thomas,
>
>What a great answer you've provided here.  I can't wait to find the time to
>try this out!
>
>BTW, I called the people at WebStar to ask about using their server software
>for developing on my desktop. I asked if I had to pay the full price for
>WebStar if I did not use it to serve pages to the internet. Their support
>person told me that I could download their demo at no charge and it would
>work without limitations for 30 days, afterwhich it would work fine for 2
>hours at a time. After 2 hours the server stops and requires the user to
>anwser a simple question (2+2=?). Supply the answer and the server resumes
>for another 2 hours. Plenty of time to test cgi's. Using WebStar this way
>does not cost anything and provides plenty of time to learn how to shift all
>the gears ;)
>
>Thanks again for the great lesson Thomas!!
>--
>
>Bill Stephenson
>www.SecureShopper.com
>1-417-546-5593

Hi Bill,

thanks for the flowers ;). While we are at it: It may be of general
interest that there are still various other Mac servers around. I've
compiled a list of some good, lightweight, free or nearly free
servers for the main Internet services:

Web-, FTP- Servers:

Quid Pro Quo 2.1.3 (HTTP-server) -- freeware, my favorite, good
server side includes capabilities, poor (nearly nonexistent)
documentation for the freeware version
ftp://ftp.socialeng.com/pub/qpq/qpq2.1.3.bin   (~ 2 MB)

MacHTTP 2.2 (HTTP-server) -- WebSTAR's predecessor, old but still good
http://www.esm.psu.edu/HTMLs/Graduate/SOFTWARE/Internet/MacHTTP2.2.sit (938 KB)

NetPresenz 4.1 (HTTP, FTP and Gopher-server) -- shareware, one of the
few (noncommercial) FTP-servers around
http://www.stairways.com/netpresenz/index.html  (~ 1 MB)

Pictorius Net Server 1.1 (HTTP, SMTP and POP3-server)  -- freeware,
supports virtual hosts
68K:
http://www.esm.psu.edu/HTMLs/Graduate/SOFTWARE/Internet/Pictorius-Net-Servers-68K.sit
(2MB)
PPC :
http://www.esm.psu.edu/HTMLs/Graduate/SOFTWARE/Internet/Pictorius-Net-Servers-PPC.sit
(2MB)

CrushFTP 1.0 (Mac) -- shareware, Java-based FTP-server, JFC/Swing and
of course MRJ must be installed
http://crushftp.bizland.com/    (264 KB)

_______________

Apple Internet Mail Server 1.1.1 (POP3 and SMTP-server)  -- free, old
stuff, but it works fine for testing and development
http://www.esm.psu.edu/HTMLs/Graduate/SOFTWARE/Internet/AIMS-1.1.1.sit (174 KB)

Eudora Internet Mail Server 1.3.1 (POP3 and SMTP-server)  --
freeware, Qualcomm bought AIMS  from Apple and called it EIMS
http://www.eudora.com/freeware/servers.html
ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/eims1/131/eims131.sea.hqx (258 KB)

Stalker Internet Mail Server (POP3 and SMTP-server) -- a flexible
freeware server with anti-spam features
http://www.stalker.com/SIMS/Intro.html
ftp://ftp.stalker.com/pub/SIMS.sit.hqx

______________

News-Server:

RumorMill 1.2.2 (NNTP-(News-) server)	-- shareware
http://www.stairways.com (540 KB)

Some of these servers are covered in the book "Providing Internet
Services via the Mac OS" by Carl Steadman and Jason Snell, available
online at http://www.pism.com/. The book is free and somewhat
outdated (published 1998), but still good.

Happy serving.

Best regards

--Thomas